Google Tag Manager
Google Tag Manager (GTM) lets site owners add and update website tags - including tags for conversion tracking, site analytics and remarketing - without needing to edit your website’s code.
To access and configure GTM:
- Sign up using your team’s Google account
- Create and name your account then create and name your first container. We suggest you use the following naming convention; domain - subdomain - environment e.g. mygov - www - live
- Select the type of property for which you intend to use the container for. In most instances you’ll select ‘web’
- Two code snippets will appear on screen, along with instructions on where to place them: place the code as instructed on all of your pages (this might require help from a developer)
- Repeat the previous 3 steps for any additional containers i.e. for test environments. Follow the same naming convention as your other container, e.g. ‘mygov.scot - www - test’
- Add the dataLayer snippet to your site (advanced). Here’s a guide on the dataLayer and here are instructions from Google on implementation for your developer.
Once GTM has been deployed to all pages, it lets you deploy your analytics tool/Google Analytics, enhanced tracking capability and any other tags where applicable, e.g. advertising floodlight tags/pixels, etc.
The Design System performance team have created a Google Tag Manager container which can be imported if you are building a site with the Design System. Download the Google Tag Manager container or contact the performance team.
If you are setting up your own event tracking we recommend adding document/download tracking, email link tracking and external link tracking.
Google Tag Manager - additional reading
- Simo Ahava: Some awesome google tag manager resources
- Optimize Smart: Google Tag Manager turorial 2021
- iPullRank: Complete guide to Google Tag Manager
- Digital Marketer: The Ultimate Guide to Google Tag Manager
- Google: Developer documentation for Google Tag Manager
- Google: Components of Google Tag Manager
- Optimize Smart: Google Tag Manager event tracking tutorial
- Simo Ahava: The Data Layer
- Optimize Smart: Google Tag Manager Data Layer tutorial
- Google: Developer documentation for Data Layer
Feedback, help or support
If you need any help or want to give any feedback you can e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org