What type of information we collect
We collect and process the following information when you visit designsystem.gov.scot:
- any feedback you share with us
- your cookies using Google Analytics
- your IP address
We also use Google Analytics to collect information about:
- which type of browser and device you used
- the pages you visit on designsystem.gov.scot
- how long you spend on each designsystem.gov.scot page
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site
Google Analytics data is only collected from users who have consented to share this data. Any information we get about you from Google Analytics will be anonymised before we see it. This means we will not hold any personally identifiable information about you, such as your name or address.
Additionally, we use Plausible Analytics on this site to collect some anonymous usage data for statistical purposes. This is to track overall trends in our website traffic, not to track individual visitors. All the data is in aggregate only. No personal data is collected to Plausible. Data collected includes referral sources, top pages, visit duration, information from the devices (device type, operating system, country and browser) used during the visit. Read more in the Plausible Analytics data policy.
Why we collect this information
We use the information you share with us:
- to improve our services
- give you access to government services
- to identify security threats
Our legal basis for processing this data is ‘legitimate interests’. That’s because:
- it’s in the legitimate interests of our users to make improvements to our website
- we need to maintain the security of designsystem.gov.scot
We only collect information about you using Google Analytics if you consent to it.
If you do not consent to it, you can let us know by emailing DataProtectionOfficer@gov.scot.
What we do with this information
We may share your anonymised information with other agencies or public bodies in the Scottish Government. But this will not include personally identifiable information.
We’ll only share your data with a third party if we’re required to do so by law. For example by court order or to prevent fraud.
We will not:
- sell or give your data to third parties
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes
How long we keep your information
We will delete any feedback you share with us after 3 years. We keep anonymised analytics for 38 months.
How we store this information
All personal information is stored in the European Economic Area (EEA). Data collected by Google Analytics data may be processed outside the EEA.
We’re committed to doing everything we can to keep your data safe. We perform regular security tests to make sure our systems and processes are secure.
Your data protection rights
You have the right to:
- see your information – through a subject access request
- improve your data – if you think the information we have is inaccurate or incomplete
- delete your information – if you do not want us to use your data anymore
- limit what we do with your data – depending on the circumstances
- stop us using your data – depending on the circumstances
- take your data with you – if you want to share it to another organisation, depending on the circumstances
How to complain
If you’re unhappy with how we’ve used your data, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO):
AddressInformation Commissioner's Office
0303 123 1113
Find out about call charges
Changes to this policy
Feedback, help or support
If you need any help or want to give any feedback you can e-mail us at: email@example.com
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback